Nerve Root Pain Relief in Dallas-Fort Worth
Nerve root pain is the result of the compression of a nerve in the spine. Pinched nerves and nerve compressions cause the brain to interpret irregularities as pain. The pain is typically felt in the area of the body supplied by that nerve that originally sent the signal to the brain.
There are two categories of nerve root pain:
- Lumbar nerve pain (also known as Sciatica.)
- Brachial neuralgia (nerve pain in the arm.)
Symptoms of Nerve Root Pain
Depending on the location of the nerve root, the following symptoms may be present:
- Sharp, pulsating, burning, or deep pain in the arms, lower back or legs.
- Increase in pain when coughing and sneezing. Often described as “shooting pain.”
- Hand dysfunction
- Shoulder pain
- Deltoid weakness
- Numbness in the shoulder
- Weakness in the biceps
- Weakness in the wrist
Risk Factors for Nerve Root Pain
- Jobs that don’t require much movement (ie. desk jobs, truck drivers) put people at a higher risk for developing nerve root pain that those whose occupations require more frequent limb movement or activity.
- Obesity is a risk factor due to the excessive weight putting constant pressure on every joint in the body, often resulting in nerve compression.
Nerve Root Pain Treatment in Dallas
Treatment options for Nerve Root Pain can include physical therapy, massage and painkillers. Extreme cases may require surgery. An alternative can be injection therapy to reduce, manage or remove the pain.
Epidural Steroid Injections are a treatment alternative for some types of low back pain and leg pain. The injections deliver medication directly (or as close as possible to) the source of pain generation. The goal is to relieve the pain and inflammation in the nerve while natural healing continues.
The Dallas pain specialists with Texas Pain Relief Group have years of experience treating patients with nerve root pain. At our 13 pain practices across DFW you will find pain experts able to deliver the pain relief solutions you need.